Freshdough on "Stairway to Heaven" [Part 3]

조회 수 3192 2004.06.19 02:12:57
freshdough
I initially thought I will do Part 3 after reviewing some episodes, but some more ideas came and here they are. Thanks to you for reading and adding your own comments. Have Fun!

1. Upstairs Downstairs
With such a title for the drama, STH is inevitably chockful of stairs and steps.

The slope and steps up Han family house. The steps leading from the beach house to the seaside. The attic that Taehwa "hid" with Jeongsuh. The bridge leading to this attic-cum-studio. Escalators within Lotte World. The sweep of stairs at the hotel where Songju married Jeongsuh.  The clear-sided flights up to Songju and Jeongsuh's apartment. Taehwa's final painting.

(By the way, the bridge and rooftop scenes reminded me of Japanese drama "Long Vacation".)

2. Riding on the Wheels of Time
Have you counted all the types of transportation featured in STH? Bicycles, buses, trains, monorail, cars, even the carousel could count as a  big wheel. The cycling scene early on so resemble Junsang and Yujin's ride on their day of truancy in Winter Sonata. And the lead characters spend so much time riding along to some other places (or, in the case of the carousel, round and round).

Sangwoo must have set a record for the number of chases along wheeled transport in a single drama: he chased buses, trains, and a taxi I think.

3. Hands in Love
No doubt a great part of the story revolve around eyes and sight. But I feel that hands also feature quite significantly.

Songju saying that one of the things he wanted to do when Jeongsu wasn't around was to hold her hand while he drove. Jeongsuh giving Songju a pair of gloves, which he in turned claimed were so warm it was like holding her hands. Songju and Jeongsuh both giving each other "friendship rings". Jeongsuh saying that even if she loses her sight, her hands would remember Songju's face. Songju (while pretending to be Taehwa) withdrawing his hands from Jeongsuh, fearing that she would recognise him. The intertwined hands on the wedding nite and at the snowfield. And finally Jeongsuh saying that she could go anywhere, even to the edge of the world, as long as Songju holds her hand.

Incidentally, from all the close-ups on Jiwoo's nicely-manicured hands, you would have noticed she's got a little mole on one inner wrist.

4. I Gift Thee
You noticed the important role played by gifts in STH? The most prominent would be the pair of necklaces/pendants exchanged before Songju left for his studies. This is like the Polaris necklace/pendant in Winter Sonata, a very useful symbol of love and commitment, to be hidden, discarded, scavenged back, or fitted together in line with the development of the relationship between Jeongsuh and Songju.

Between the lead characters themselves, it seems that almost nothing concrete given by Songju to Jeongsuh could be safe from the Great Dissatisfied (Yuri). From the dress in their high school days to the ring that Songju wanted for engagement with Jeongsuh , Yuri would crave to rob it, use it or disparage it (and in the case of the dress, deface it). Only when Songju gave Jeongsuh the empty box did it escape her uncurbed greed (which Tae Mira did her devilish best to encourage).

Other than the rabbit beanie, Jeongsuh's gifts to Songju are tinged with sadness. Like the engagement present that she was tasked to buy and present (because she has to give to Yuri, who usurped her place). Like the dinner that she asked Manager Chang to help prepare for Songju (about the final thing she could do for him, as his wife).

Therefore the best gifts in the end turned out to be totally invisible and utterly priceless... For Jeongsuh and Songju - belief/commitment, dreams/aspirations and undying love; and from Taehwa, his ultimate sacrifice of his life and his eyes.

댓글 '8'

Jennifer O

2004.06.19 03:05:09

Dear freshdough, you are a fantastic analyst! Your 3 parts are well analyzed and very interesting to read on.
To sum up, it's SW&JW's excellent and fabulous performance that makes this drama highly popular and their characters as SJ&JS, unforgettable....
Thank you for sharing. Looking to your sharing again....

kk

2004.06.19 10:08:35

Dear freshdough,
Thank you for your Part 3.
Regarding the hands, Jiwoo left hand was injured during shooting of heavens. You may find scars(2) in some episodes and the most obvious one was when JS got back her memory and she met SJ in Lotte world. Actually I met Jiwoo in Shanghai before the Andrekim fashionshow and found that there is still a scar left in our princess's left hand.

f18

2004.06.19 11:27:40

Dear freshdough
All your contributions are all fantastic read.
Can I also add a little of my observation which I am quite concerned about. In the ice-rink JW fell twice - once she bummed her head, when she was threw by SW, the reaction by SW was like "OOPS" - I think she got hurt . but since she was not concussed - she should be okay.
But the other fall (see NG shots - when she was dressed in her long gown ) - that was a bad fall, I hope she would not suffer severe back injury months or even years down the track.

arielle_ng

2004.06.19 12:55:51

Well done Freshdough

freshdough

2004.06.19 23:07:10

kk,
Yes I also noted the scars on JW's hands. Poor thing. And how do you manage to visit JW so many times, in all the different countries?! You're really the Super JW Fan.

f18,
yes JW hit her head so many times. Besides the ice-rink one, there's also the scene when Sangwoo flung her onto the bed after she returned from hospital, vision restored. In NG clip, there was also one where she hit her head getting into the limousine after the wedding reception.

arielle,
I've only watched STH once! I wonder when 101 Proposal will be screened...

Xuexi

2004.06.21 17:11:09

Hi ladies, love and enjoy this site/board very much. B'cos all of us have the same love & passion for Heaven and its leading couples. It's strange that I couldn't post my sharings/comments in my home PC. Hence, I only can do it in my office PC which is very inconvenient.

Arielle, I was also having the same thoughts w/you on SW shower scene - to contrast it w/JW who had discard the necklace. The necklace was used as a symbol of love bond for their reunion when they were separated thru schemes and plots of Tae Mira/Yoori and even Tae Hwa who "stole" her away for 5 years.

In Ep 19, SJ actually wanted to donate 1 of his eye to JS but unfortunately this was not allowed ethically (to remove any organ from a living person). Thus TH has to make the sacrifice. SJ said he wants to share & feel everything with JS thru his donation of one eye - oneness in spirit & body.

Cinebus scene after eye laser op - SJ proposed to JS but she refused saying that her life is uncertain due to her unpredictable eye disease. However SJ was adamant saying that JS loves SJ and SJ loves JS, that's more than enough and above all else for their union in marriage.

In the scene when SJ recognised & stopped JS, TH dragged her away running. It looks to me that she really had a bad fall on the steps. Hope I'm wrong and it was not that injury which she mentioned in her interview.

It was an amusing and humourous scene where the 2 men were competing to make sphagetti for JS. And when JS says Oppa - which oppa was she addressing ???

Lastly, wud like to say that Jiwoo-si looks a natural beauty despite her very light make-up in her wedding scene in Ep 19.

My personal overall view - Sangwoo-si run the most in the show and poor Jiwoo-si has the most falls in the show.

^_^ ???

Xuexi

2004.06.21 17:24:39

Oops! Please don't my reverse order of posting.

Wud like to add my thanks to freshdough for part 3. Looking forward to any addendum to all the parts of StH from any ladies who may wish to add.

Ya, Agree with all --> the invisible gifts (an unusual idea on the empty gift box but a profound one), the symbol of clasped hands in love (in the ice-rink scene where SJ says he'll never let go of her hands and asked JS also not to let go of his too).

Perhaps b'cos of the same PD, noticed the theme song "heaven" in BD where San jae wrote this song out of inspiration of the "happy family" pic drawn by Yanxiu and then last year's StH (also known as heaven) show.

Cheers ~~~~~

Casper

2004.06.21 19:22:36

Wonder how much time did all you girls spend on writing and reading those postings. I just have one comment on the Michael Angelo's painting. The director ought to be shot for first painting how good CJW's brother as an artist. Then, within a split second painting him as a copy artist. Sigh! Lack of creativity and originality!

I wonder how can you girls continue watching STH countless time and yet giving comments. Aren't you all sick of it already? Let's discuss about 101 proposal!
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수sort
2866 [re] JiWoo news from HyunJu~!! Deirdre 2002-07-05 3184
2865 From Suching to Jake [1] jjj 2002-05-04 3184
2864 Stand by me [3] SURIA 2006-10-18 3185
2863 Review of Rondo - Part 2/2 by Felicia Soh@Soompi's CJW Thread.. [1] Jennifer O 2006-06-02 3185
2862 Choi Ji-woo Beats Yonsama as Japan’s Favorite Korean [9] jj 2005-01-18 3185
2861 Choi, Jiwoo to leave for language study... Trip to US next month [18] Jake (찬희) 2004-08-26 3185
2860 KSW&CJW(STH) [6] Jean 2004-07-23 3185
2859 Jiwoo's surprise party photo... [10] Jake (찬희) 2004-06-12 3185
2858 New project Jw + Jang Dongun [3] Machu Pichu 2006-05-28 3186
2857 [FLASH] WLS Flash Made by a Japanese Fan liz 2004-12-14 3186
2856 Fanfix : 2nd Installment [6] arielle_ng 2004-07-26 3186
2855 Encouraging Words to JW Fans [12] Sally 2004-07-22 3186