<ELLE Magazine article translation> Part. 2

조회 수 3161 2004.10.27 23:31:32
Flora
Day 1
그녀와의 첫 만남은 루브르 박물관 실내가 한눈에 들여다보이는 카페 마를리에서였다. 그녀는 샌프란시스코에서 어학연수를 겸한 한 달간의 리프레시 휴가를 보내고 서울로 돌아온 지 이틀 만에 파리행 비행기에 올랐다 한다. 오랜 비행시간에 지친 그녀가 과연 이튿날 있을 화보 촬영을 순조롭게 할 수 있을지 걱정이다. 온갖 까탈스런 여배우들과 슈퍼모델의 변덕을 체험해본 나로서는, 촬영 일정을 급히 잡은 편집장을 원망했다. 하지만 정작 최지우는 본인은 이상한 나라에 도착한 앨리스처럼, 두 눈을 반짝이며 파리의 야경을 한껏 즐기고 있는 것이 아닌가. “이상하게 파리와는 인연이 없었어요. 영국이나 스위스는 몇 차례나 갔었는데 말이죠.” 근사한 조명을 떨구는 루브르의 피라미드 앞에서 그녀는 두 옥타브쯤 올라간 상기된 탄성을 내뱉으며 스태프들과 열심히 디지털카메라의 셔터를 눌러댔다. 바로 우리에게 익숙한 이 모습이 그대로 유진이며, 연수 (잡지에는 영수라고 나왔는데요 오타인 것 같습니다.^^') ?정서가 아닐까. 누구나 꿈꾸는 일생에 단 한 번뿐인 순수한 사랑의 대변자이자 청순가련형 미인 최지우의 분신들 말이다.
하지만 바로 이 ‘청순가련’ 때문에 최지우의 존재는 많은 여자들에게 ‘가까이 하기엔 너무 먼 당신’이다. 더욱이 ‘자기주장 강한 화려한 여배우’의 이미지를 가진 브랜드 디올과의 화보 촬영에는 적합하지 않은 이미지 아닌가. 존 갈리아노가 캣워크에 자주 선보이는 ‘미래의 여전사’나 ‘고급 창부’까지는 아니더라도, <여인의 초상>에서의 니콜 키드먼이 보여줬던 열정적인 모습 혹은 <화양연화>에서 목격했던 장만옥의 무너질 것 같은 적당한 퇴폐스러움이 필요했다. 비음 섞인 목소리로 그녀가 말한다. “이런 머리 꼭 하번 해보고 싶었어요.” 힘들게 가발까지 써야 하며 눈매를 가리는 짙은 아이 메이크업을 해야 하는 컨셉트였다. “아멜리에 머리를 좀더 우아하게 변형시킨 거죠? 그런데 아이라인은 너무 굵게 그리지 않았으면 해요. 눈이 처져 보이거든요.” 그녀는 자신의 얼굴을 잘 알고 있는 것 같았다.

Day 1
First meeting with her(Choi Jiwoo) was in cafe Marly where we could see the Louvre museum interior of a room. I
heard that she(Choi Jiwoo) went on a combined language study and refresh rest in San Francisco for one month.
And after she just came back to Seoul of two days, she took a Paris line airplane. I was worried about her who
might be tired at the flight hours, sure enough a certain magazine photographing can be made favorable in the next(following) day. Me, who experienced and looked at all difficult casual sort of (capricious) actress and super models
blamed the chief editor who took the photographing schedule suddenly. However, Choi Jiwoo like an Alice who
arrived in Wonderland was enjoying herself the night view of Paris with her two eyes aglow. "Strangely, I had no
connection whatsoever with Paris though I have traveled England and Switzerland several times." She uttered a sigh of admiration at the front of Louvre pyramid which shines wonderful lighting. And she pressed the shutter of digital camera earnestly with the staffs. Don't you think this figure(seeing her shooting pictures earnestly with the staffs) is Yujin (in Winter Sonata), Younsue (in Beautiful Days) and Jungsuh (in Stairways to Heaven) in which it got used to us? (Choi Jiwoo's the other self of her in the dramas.) Choi Jiwoo is the spokesperson of everybody who dreams of only one pure love and pure sad type beauty in the lifetime.
However because of this 'pure and innocent' appearance(aspect), existence of Choi Jiwoo is 'very much far to
bringing close' to lots of women. In addition to that her image is not suitable to photographing with brand Dior
which has with the image of 'Strong showy actress'.
Though she's not the image of a 'female warrior of the future' and the 'high-class prostitute' by whom John Galliano debutes in catwalk well, Nicole Kidman's passionate figure in <The Portrait of a Lady> or which Maggie CHEUNG Man Yuk showed a suitable collapses in <In the mood for love> was required. She(Choi Jiwoo) says by nasal sound. "I
really wanted to try this kind of hair style." The concept was to carry out the deep eye makeup which covers the
(cast of the) eyes and which must use even a wig difficulty. "It's Amelie's hair style made to change into it slightly
gracefully, isn't it? By the way, I hope they don't draw my eyeliner very thickly because the thick eyeliner makes my eyes look like droop." It seemed that she understood her face well.

P.S- Sorry for my poor translation.

댓글 '4'

Yuo

2004.10.28 00:43:42

Flora

thanks so much for your translation

Jennifer O

2004.10.28 01:51:02

Dear Flora.
Thanks for this interesting translation and you did a good job!
Paris is such a romantic place, and sure Jiwoo does like it.
You mean Jiwoo went to SF for a month recently ???
Take care and cheers~~~

alexmom

2004.10.28 11:43:28

Dear Flora, your translation is great.
really enjoy reading it. I was also shocked to find out
that Jiwoo already finished her english study for one month
in San Francisco...

starstruck

2004.10.28 23:48:10

i think u r great ! yay, didn't know she went to sf. there was no news abt it all! she went there last year too, eh? thanks, flora! appreciated the translations sooooooooo much!
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수sort
10 [re] HiHi.i am new.. sandy 2002-08-31 3138
9 [re] STH - New Edition of VCDs out in Singapore Dr Love 2004-06-13 3137
8 KK likes to share again- CJW Interview [11] arielle_ng 2004-08-26 3134
7 Wow....... [7] eve 2004-08-13 3129
6 Nadri CF - making and NG [4] JCL 2004-03-18 3127
5 My thoughts about STH [4] Casper 2004-05-20 3124
4 Happy birthday! biyo 2022-06-13 2525
3 My eternal star, Jiu Make Christmas 공감 2021-12-24 2515
2 Happy Birthday! biyo 2023-06-11 795
1 Have a nice day!! James 2024-01-16 296