#ThrowbackThursday

조회 수 4300 2014.04.24 22:45:40
Ian

Dear Unnie,

How are you? Hope you're doing fine.

It's Thursday today. And for those who are active in facebook and instagram,

it is the day when one usually posts pictures or movies taken a long time ago

to remind us of good memories.

Since I do not own any pictures of you, Instead of posting a picture either with you 

or of you, I'll just post something which I have come to remember that has

happened before and has something to do with you.

When I was about to graduate from college, I remember, it was the time that 
Winter Sonata was shown in the Philippines. But it was, I think. about a year

after it was aired in South Korea and Japan.

I used to live in a co-ed dormitory inside the university campus. There were only

2 TVs inside the dorm and both were located at the dorm's lobby. One

near the entrance to the ladies' wing and the other near the entrance to the men's wing.

What was amazing during that time was that, It was about the only time that I saw both

TVs showing the same program. The only time that the men and women of

our dorm were in agreement on something to watch. Usually, the men's TV was tuned 

in to sports channel and other programs concerning manly stuff.

Winter Sonata was so popular, that even other students who do not live in our dorm

asks permission from the dorm administration to stay for a while in our lobby 

so they could watch it. Otherwise, they'd miss an episode because it was shown

at prime time slot, which coincides about an hour past the time when most classes where

finished and students are on their way home. 

I remember having to ask a crowd of students, gathered around our lobby watching the show,

to please make way so I could pass by on my way to my room. I wasn't a fan at first since it was

my last semester in the university and I was struggling to finish all the requirements so I could graduate. 

It was only during the Christmas break, when I went home and found out that even my father

was watching it, that I took an interest and watched an episode. It was the episode

in the Ski Resort when both Yujin and Junsang were trapped in the storm.  

I've been hooked right away, to the point that I bought a copy of my own because I could 

not wait  for the next day or for the weekend to be finished  so I could watch the next episode. Haha... (waiting has never been my best asset). 

Winter Sonata literally took the country by storm, whether young or adult. When it's time to watch Winter Sonata, you couldn't hear a sound different than what you're TV was emitting because

the neighbor's TV is showing the same program and was synchronized to ours. 

Such was the extent of Winter Sonata's success when it was aired in my country! So much so, that when I went back to school after the break, one of the speeches delivered in my English Communication class was about it. 

And just like in other countries where it became a smashing success, It brought about a wave of interest in the Korean Culture and Language in the Philippines. Suddenly, Korean Language classses  became as popular as the French or other European Language classes. Membership at an organization related to Korea increased and students who would normally go to the US or Europe as exchange students opted to go to South Korea. 

Congratulations on being a part of it. The drama was so effective and so successful, that it transcended  the world of entertainment, to the point that it even boosted a country's popularity and its relationship with its neighboring nations.

Had digital cameras and smarthphones been prolific then as they were now, It would have been

nice to take a picture of the crowded lobby of a dormitory, with students avidly watching Winter Sonata , not minding that they'd be home late, the heat, standing and being crammed in a small space just so not to miss a single episode.

Happy Throwback Thursday Jiwoo Unni and to everyone. I hope that you are also

remembering an amazing, happy and wonderful memories today!

List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수
2619 생일 축하합니다! chimori 2014-06-11 3634
2618 Choijiwoo, Happy birthday^-^^-^^-^^-^ ^-^^-^^-^^-^^-^^-^^-^ Healthy, happy every day^-^^-^^-^ ^-^^-^^-^ Thomas 2014-06-11 7965
2617 Dear you. huong 2014-06-09 7980
2616 Happy Dragon Boat Festival ^ - ^ ^ - ^ ^ - ^ ^ - ^ ^ - ^ ^ - ^ ^ - ^ ^ - ^ ^ - ^ ^ - ^ ^ - ^ Thomas 2014-06-02 7969
2615 Swan Valley Half Day Wine Tour hgltours 2014-05-21 12312
2614 지우님 chimori 2014-04-30 4613
2613 Now I Remember Ian 2014-04-29 6818
2612 I Can Only Imagine Dayton 2014-04-26 4595
» #ThrowbackThursday Ian 2014-04-24 4300
2610 praying for people who are missing in ferry Sewol Trang Dang 2014-04-19 4769
2609 Congratulations once again, there are also some Suggestions [1] Thomas 2014-04-17 8137
2608 Congratulations choijiwoo [1] Thomas 2014-04-16 7971